3 Mirtul, 1373 Pavel Struggles to Understand
By the time Brother Nikolai had finished talking, my destination was clear, but my route has yet to be determined. The ending we all seek is easily discernable by the conviction of my friends but a lack of worldly knowledge still lays in my path like a thick Tarsakh fog.
Animosus suggested that we attempt to somehow cleanse the evil blood we found within his family's shipment and render it useless to those that would use it for vile and malevolent purposes. Brother Nilolai assures us that he can do this. Although I am not familiar with this process, I have heard of clerics within my monastery calling upon the Broken One to bless the church cistern once when it became diseased. A prudent and just course of action is this.
We set out to find the carriage carrying the tainted lifeblood. I trot ahead of my armored friends, arriving a few moments ahead of them, but I am finding that the simple trappings of a monk do not open doors as easily as the shiny armor of a paladin. The Yellow Rose commands little respect in these parts and an old man with a stick is not nearly as intimidating as an armored combatant with a large sword. Clearly my role in this will have little to do with negotiation or diplomacy.
When Corim suggested an alternate entry point, it seemed the perfect way for my skills to aid my friends, but entering the compound without the knowledge of the guards still seems somehow wrong to me. I am still struggling to understand Corim's disregard of established regulations when pursuing a noble cause. Does the salvation of Animosus' trusted friend Gustav give us license to perform outside the law? Do the ends really justify the means? It would appear that Corim has a certain 'moral flexibility' that I lack.
At no time was this more apparent than when a guard suprised me inside the keep compound. Discovered and confronted, I would have surely have surrendered myself to the judgement of the law. Instead, Corim acted without hesitation and dispatched the guard with a single strike. A murder in any court in the land- and yet he bound his victim's wounds immediately to keep the man from dying. This stretches the limits of my understanding. A cold-blooded, chillingly efficient killer and a compassionate healer - both trapped within one man.
I wonder if I am to become a killer or a healer.
...or perhaps, like Corim- I will need to become both.
By the time Brother Nikolai had finished talking, my destination was clear, but my route has yet to be determined. The ending we all seek is easily discernable by the conviction of my friends but a lack of worldly knowledge still lays in my path like a thick Tarsakh fog.
Animosus suggested that we attempt to somehow cleanse the evil blood we found within his family's shipment and render it useless to those that would use it for vile and malevolent purposes. Brother Nilolai assures us that he can do this. Although I am not familiar with this process, I have heard of clerics within my monastery calling upon the Broken One to bless the church cistern once when it became diseased. A prudent and just course of action is this.
We set out to find the carriage carrying the tainted lifeblood. I trot ahead of my armored friends, arriving a few moments ahead of them, but I am finding that the simple trappings of a monk do not open doors as easily as the shiny armor of a paladin. The Yellow Rose commands little respect in these parts and an old man with a stick is not nearly as intimidating as an armored combatant with a large sword. Clearly my role in this will have little to do with negotiation or diplomacy.
When Corim suggested an alternate entry point, it seemed the perfect way for my skills to aid my friends, but entering the compound without the knowledge of the guards still seems somehow wrong to me. I am still struggling to understand Corim's disregard of established regulations when pursuing a noble cause. Does the salvation of Animosus' trusted friend Gustav give us license to perform outside the law? Do the ends really justify the means? It would appear that Corim has a certain 'moral flexibility' that I lack.
At no time was this more apparent than when a guard suprised me inside the keep compound. Discovered and confronted, I would have surely have surrendered myself to the judgement of the law. Instead, Corim acted without hesitation and dispatched the guard with a single strike. A murder in any court in the land- and yet he bound his victim's wounds immediately to keep the man from dying. This stretches the limits of my understanding. A cold-blooded, chillingly efficient killer and a compassionate healer - both trapped within one man.
I wonder if I am to become a killer or a healer.
...or perhaps, like Corim- I will need to become both.


8 Comments:
I see your dilemma and I sympathize. We have to make rash decisions and pray we were wise later. Good intentions are no excuse for immoral behavior, yet it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. (good post)
(incredible post, Pavel & Animosus)
At this moment, far away in the mountains...brother Anton reflects upon the day you had expressed admiration for his continued and unwavering care for a particular set of roses. You had asked, "How does it happen, brother, that this rose survives the cold and ice and wind, yet blooms so beautifully as though never affected by those harsh forces?" He replied,"Its beauty is sustained by pain. I fiercely sever each seventh leaf. I cut down each withered branch. I disrupt and toil the ground that is its home. I simply do what I must to preemptively hurt all things that might harm this precious flower... though it remains a mystery to me how these harmful acts do any good at all. I know only the resulting health, deep fragrance, and beauty you see before you." He paused to pray then concluded, "The Broken One teaches... from pain and suffering may come comfort and solace; blessed is he who is comforted by his own suffering."
If that is the way you want it, Pavel my friend, I will slip away into the shadows next time. I am sorry that I distressed you so. When I saw that you were caught I did the only thing I could think of to do. These are EVIL people, right? Was I mistaken? You were so agast, I tried to bind the wound. Maybe you know something I don't. we must talk.
Don't change a thing, my friend.
Pavel is a farmboy in Harlem, an ethiopian at the Cheesecake factory, a homeless woman in Saxx 5th Avenue. Suddenly everything around him is vastly different than what he was expecting. (pun intended)
He's not trying to change you Corim, he just wants to understand you.
Give Pavel a chance to get a handle on things- after all, it's only been a day.
Pavel explains.
I see you have either traveled more than you let on, or read way too much about fantasy worlds. Saxx fifth avenue? That doesn't even sound like a real place.
I'm only trying to help you fit in and not get you too wigged out. After all, aren't laws made to be broken? >:)
Laws were made to be repealed, ARMS are made to be broken.
That just goes to show, Kelestri IS mos machos.
arms backs legs knees laws chairs doors traps coinpurses..wait..coinpurses where ment to be pilfered..my bad
Post a Comment
<< Home